UGA President is reviewing the financial and educational benefits of WUGATV

You may enjoy watching local programs like the UGA Alumni Show or UGA Performs. But if University President Jere Morehead decides to drop the school’s public television station, these programs would be history. The University could cut the entire television portion of the program.

“How much money have we invested in the station? How much are we now spending on the station each year? Where are these funds coming from?” These are just some of the questions the President brought up Wednesday.

He asked six University employees from various department to look into the benefits of funding WUGATV, but it is not just finances that concern him.

“I asked the working group to tell me what educational value the station was providing the community for both students and faculty,” Morehead continued.

Ella Dorsey attributes her time at WUGATV to scoring her first job.

“Well I just got a job in Knoxville and I don’t think that I would have had the skill set or the level that I had going into the interview without this practice. I really don’t think without the experience I get at W-U-G-A I could have entered into such a high market,” she told Newsource.

Morehead says he expects the committee to have its results by February. The answers will determine the fate of WUGA’s television station.

WUGA’s radio station is not in the hot seat, only the television station that airs Newsource at 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

The station declined to comment on the President’s decision to look into the station.

• Show Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

• name *

• email *

• website *

You May Also Like

‘Serengeti Dreams’ Sculpture Dedicated at Bear Hallow Zoo

An 8ft. metal sculpture was dedicated to Bear Hollow Zoo this morning by local artist ...

College Kid is behind UGA’s Football Hype Videos

The University of Georgia uses hype videos to stir anticipation for the University of Georgia’s ...

Add Comment
Cancel
Viewing Highlight
Highlight
Close
X