OPINION: Today I Will be A U.S. Citizen; No One Can Stop Me

Fernanda.001

I was just nine years old when I moved to this country, leaving everything I have ever known behind. Mexico had been my whole world.

220
My father, me (left) and my sister (right)

Today that is changing. I am becoming a citizen of a great country. One that has filled me with dreams and opportunities.

My father and mother have fought long and hard to make this a reality. This is not an easy process, it takes years to accomplish and lots of money.

FullSizeRender (11)

According to the Migration Policy Institute (MPI), as of 2013, approximately 41.3 million immigrants lived in the United States, and this number just keeps increasing.

The United States attracts about 20 percent of the world’s international migrants, but it represents less that 5 percent of the world’s population, and out of the total 316 million U.S. residents, 13 percent are immigrants.

I am just one of that 13 percent, but today something is different. I am becoming a United States citizen and no one can stop me.

002
my little sister (left), me (middle), my older sister (right)

By: Fernanda Perez

Tags:

You May Also Like

Black History Month Celebrations Highlight ‘Further Need for Change’

ATHENS, Ga.,– Organizers of Black History Month events here in Athens say the discussions ...

Fake UGA Yearbook Photo Grabs Attention on Social Media

A controversial yearbook photo from 1916 has surfaced on social media, but its origins ...

Bucket List: Athens and the African-American Experience

Athens is often overlooked when it comes to special events and landmarks that commemorate ...

Add Comment
Cancel
Viewing Highlight
Highlight
Close
X