No Shave November, may only last a month, but raising money for men’s health is a year long process.
During the month of November, men take a stand and support those men who have lost their hair from the vigorous treatment that takes it away by not shaving their facial hair.
One organization that raises money all year for support of men’s health is No-Shave November.
So far this year No-Shave November has raised $1,886,647 has been raised by 33,328 members, 2,090 teams and 328 organizations.
The story behind this organization is that eight children pursued this project after their father, Matthew Hill, passed away from Colon Cancer in November 2007. In November of 2009, the Hill family decided to use No-Shave November as a way to raise money for cancer prevention, education and research.
Another form of support for men’s health that also lasts all year long is Movember. This is different from No Shave November because you are not allowing a beard to grow, but instead you are allowing your mustache to grow.
Movember is all about spreading the word for men’s health and raising money to help those men in need. Some facts on men’s health are:
- 1 in 20 men who get testicular cancer will die.
- 1 in 4 men have a mental health problem at some point in their life.
- 510,000 men die from suicide globally each year– that’s one every minute.
- Millions of men are living with prostate cancer.
A few other men’s health facts are:
- The three most common cancers effecting men are: Prostate Cancer, Lung Cancer and Colorectal Cancer.
- Leading causes of cancer death in men: Lung Cancer (53.9%), Prostate Cancer (19.2%), Colorectal Cancer (17.3%), and Liver Cancer (9.5%)
By: Kendall Meissner