The long-awaited rematch between Georgia and Alabama is happening this Saturday at the SEC Championship in Atlanta. Getting to the game and finding places to tailgate will likely be tough due to heavy traffic.
Here is our comprehensive guide of how to “game day” in Atlanta.
Transportation and Tailgating
If you leave from Athens, make sure you do so pretty early Saturday morning. Mercedes-Benz Stadium is partnered with Waze, the GPS navigation software, which allows Waze to have updated information of all enterable parking lots and decks.
The stadium’s website even says, “Waze is the only GPS program with event day traffic plans and street closures incorporated, providing you with accurate directions and real-time traffic alerts. Please do not use Google Maps, Apple Maps, or any other mapping software.”
If you want to be right in the middle of the fandom on game day, you can purchase parking and tailgate passes. The stadium has a list of different tailgating packages you can choose from. The Yellow Lot is supposed to be one of the best tailgating spots, but there are more than 20 lots to choose from.
There are also various tailgate parties and events around the stadium with food and drinks included. This SEC Championship tailgate party is just a 5-minute walk from the stadium, and all you need to do is buy a ticket and bring your own chair.
Here’s a list of even more tailgate parties you can purchase tickets for:
- SEC MegaGate 2018
- Cypress Street Pint and Plate Watch Party
- SEC Ultimate Pre-Game Kickoff Tailgate Party
Marta can be another great option for those who do not want to drive into downtown. If you are coming from Athens, the Doraville Station on the Gold Line is the closest, where you can park and ride into the city.
Bars and Restaurants Near the Stadium
- Park Bar is a favorite for game day fans. It is known for craft beer, pub food and a loud and fun atmosphere.
- Smoke Ring is a newer barbecue restaurant with a flair for twists on classic barbecue and whiskey.
- For something a little more eclectic, Crazy ATLanta Travel Restaurant and BAR has graffiti-covered walls and foods from around the world.
- Hudson Grille is your classic sports bar with an expansive menu, and lots of screens for watching the game.
Sage Barnard is a senior majoring in journalism in the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Georgia.