Grady Newsource’s Top Five News Stories cover Northeast Georgia. We will continue with updates throughout the day as our reporters cover the latest news. To stay updated, check out our Twitter and Facebook pages.
1. The Athens Community Council on Aging (ACCA) was one of four organizations to receive a service grant from the National Foundation to End Senior Hunger. Grady Newsource talked with a member of the council about the ACCA garden, which will start composting with help from the newly acquired funds.
2. Some Athens restaurants almost failed a recent health inspection, though all but one increased its score in a follow up. The Grill scored a 71 on its first inspection but nearly failed its second evaluation with a 70.
3. Yesterday morning, a Madison County school bus was involved in an accident on Hwy. 172. It was the second Madison County bus to be involved in a wreck within the last ten days. Grady Newsource reporter Kalyn Wilson is in Madison County learning more about how bus drivers are being more cautious.
4. Athens for Everyone has formed a petition to pay living wages for all county workers. Grady Newsource reporter Lana Harris spoke with Athens Mayor Nancy Denson about the effects of the petition.
5. Social media updates are creating buzz across all platforms. Snapchat recently came out with new filters that allow users to make complete fools of themselves while Facebook announced the addition of a highly-anticipated “dislike” button. Also, be sure to send snaps with your favorite new filter to our GradyNewsource snapchat for a chance to see them on our live broadcast at 5 p.m.