It’s been 18 years since Georgia temperatures have dropped this low. Down here in the south it can be hard to know how to stay safe and warm at home in this cold weather. Here are a few tips to make life a little easier tomorrow morning.
- Let cold water drip from faucets to avoid frozen pipes.
- Open cabinets where plumbing is located to allow warm air to circulate.
- Keep your thermostat at the same temperature tonight and when you leave for work to prevent pipes from bursting.
- Don’t leave space heaters unattended and keep them three feet away from curtains and cloth surfaces.
- Leave doors open around the house when using kerosene heaters to prevent pollution build up in your home.
- Allow enough time in the morning to thaw the ice on your windshield and windows.
- Have a radio, flashlight, and batteries prepared in case of power loss.
Stay safe, stay warm, and stay tuned.