The Golden Pantry recently celebrated its 50th year of service in Athens. However, what some people might not know is that a number of businesses have been operating in Athens for nearly 200 years. Here is a list of seven businesses that have been in Athens before 1950.
1. Athens Banner-Herald (1832) – The Southern Banner published its first story on March 20, 1832. The paper merged with the Athens Herald in 1921 and became known as the Athens Banner-Herald.
2. First Presbyterian Church (1855) – This church was constructed by Ross Crane in 1855 and remodeled in 1906.
3. Morton Theatre (1910) – Built by Monroe Bowers Morton in 1910. It has since been restored and adapted as a performing arts space.
4. First American Bank & Trust Co. (1928) – It originally operated as Hubert Banking Company and was located across from the University of Georgia arch on Broad Street. The bank was moved in 1948 to a building at the corner of Washington and College Avenue.
5. U.S. Post Office (1941) – Located in the Athens courthouse which houses the District Court, U.S. Post Office and offices for the Bankruptcy Court, the U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Probation, and U.S. Attorney.
6. Chick Music (1942) – The store originally opened in 1942 as Chick Piano on Jackson Street. Lewis Chick opened the store at this location but later moved it to Lumpkin Street. In 1968, the store was moved to Clayton Street.
7. Mayflower Restaurant (1948) – It is located across from the arch and has been serving breakfast and lunch since 1948. The Vaughn family has owned and operated the restaurant since the 1960s.