This past Sunday was the 234th anniversary of the founding of the University of Georgia. The Student Alumni Association is hosting activities all week to celebrate.
“UGA has done a lot of great things, created a lot of great opportunities and we just want to be able to get together and celebrate that and share that with one another,” said Michael Garcia, a graduate assistant for student engagement alumni relations who has helped plan Founders Week.
List of Activities
Tuesday, January 29, 2019
- G-Book #TraditionTuesday at the Abraham Baldwin Statue from 1-3 p.m
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
- Spirit Day at Herty Field from 12-2 p.m.
- Activities and prizes
- State of the University Address at the UGA Chapel at 3:30 p.m.
- Given by UGA President Morehead
Thursday, January 31, 2019
- 100 Days ’til Graduation at Memorial Hall Ballroom from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Buy picture frames or get your cap and gown
Friday, February 1, 2019
- Happy Birthday UGA! Party at Tate Plaza from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Music, games, prizes and Hairy Dawg
The week is planned in hopes to develop a strong university community.
“An important aspect of the collegiate experience whether it is undergrad or grad, like myself, is making those ties not only to the community but the institution and UGA has a history unlike any other university and almost unrivaled in how long it’s been around,” Garcia said.
Dani Terzer is a senior majoring in journalism in the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Georgia.